Backroad Discovery – self-guided cycling and walking holidays.
Cycling and walking holidays for people who want to explore independently with the security of a planned itinerary. You choose the region and route and leave the organisation to us. The emphasis is on cycling (and walking) for pleasure, so distances are short, the terrain is graded and there is time for sightseeing and relaxation.
- Cycle (and walk) at your own pace, stopping when and where you want.
- Daily luggage transfers so you can travel light without any security worries.
- Detailed daily route guide, large scale maps and information on tourist sights.
- Character accommodation with ensuite bathrooms, ranging from B&Bs and 2 star hotels to grand châteaux hotels.
- Avoid the traffic – travel on minor roads, cycle trails and the National Cycling Highway.
- Suitable for all fitness levels, with the back up of a local agent.
- All breakfasts and most dinners are included.
- Modern 21-24 speed hybrid bikes, plus electric bikes, children’s bikes and tag-alongs.
From the vineyards of Cote d’Or to the Niverais Canal, Burgundy offers a beautiful varied landscape, historic Beaune, Dijon & Auxerre, wonderful food & wine and easy to moderate-plus routes from 4 to 7 nights. Some routes can be combined for a longer holiday. READ MORE
BRITTANY & NORMANDY
Normandy holidays are from 5 to 9 nights, ranging from Ile de France to the Normandy coast over moderate terrain and include Mont St Michel & Bayeux, while Brittany has easy 5 & 6 night itineraries; one around the Gulf of Morbihan, while the other follows a canal to Dinan and on to St Malo. READ MORE
Experience vineyards and forests, villages and churches, plus bubbles galore on a moderate/plus 6 night route. READ MORE
The flat valley of the Rhine gives way to vineyard slopes and the rounded Vosges Mountains, so routes range from easy to moderate, and from 5 to 7 nights, but several routes can be combined for a longer holiday. READ MORE
PROVENCE, LANGUEDOC & DORDOGNE
Drome Provençal and the Luberon offer two charming, but more demanding, routes ranging from 5 to 8 nights.
Follow the oldest canal in France from Toulouse to the Med on an easy-moderate itinerary of 7-9 nights or enjoy vineyards, cliffs, caves, pre-history and castles in two moderate-strenuous itineraries of 6 & 7 nights. READ MORE